Wednesday, July 20, 2011

...come meet Michael and Dillon, from Moore, Oklahoma





Michael (left) and Dillon (right) came to Joplin from Moore, Oklahoma.  Dillon came first with his youth group.  But after returning home he and a friend planned another trip out.  They told Michael that they were returning to Joplin and he wanted to come too.

Last night I introduced myself to Michael and Dillon as they sat at a table in The Core Cafeteria.  Our youth praise team practice is on Tuesday nights back in The Core and so while they were checking mic's and tuning instruments, I had a little bit of down time.

My camera battery is dead so I took this snapshot with my busted up cell phone.  Won't win any awards for amazing photography, but it lets you see with your eyes two young men who have servants hearts.

I didn't get to talk to Dillon much, not because he wasn't willing, but because I ran out of time.  I did however get to know Michael a little bit and our discussion blessed me tremendously.

Michael doesn't belong to a church.  In fact, from chatting with him I gathered the following:

1. He has a sincere heart that desires to serve and help people.
2. He is very intelligent.
3. He used to just believe in a higher power, but now he believes in God.
4. He said he would like to believe that Jesus was the son of God.
5. He was unsure about the Bible.
6. He was weary of Christians.

I got only a few moments to chat with him about this...and I treasure them.  Church, if you are reading this, the field is within our church walls.  We have a rare opportunity to bless and be blessed, to love and make new friends.  These people that are coming from all over the country, it may be their only chance in their busy lives to spend a few days helping.  We see them day in and day out, a mirage of faces, a sea of people.  Try and not get USED to them...See each one for what they are....a brother or sister in the Lord, or an opportunity to share the love of Christ.

A smile and "hello" can go a long way.


Heavenly Father, I praise you and I thank you so much that we are presented with such an opportunity as this.  Continue to supply all the needs to keep this operation up and running while we take care of all these travelers. Give us servants hearts and an attitude that is pleasing to you.  I pray that you will help us to be bold in sharing you with the people that we meet.  I pray for open hearts that are ready to receive your precious gift of salvation.  Salvation from the law, salvation from death, and that they will get to have the most amazing thing of all: a relationship with the creator of heaven and earth.  You are joy and peace and everything good.  We PRAISE your HOLY name! AMEN

~Ronda