Thursday, July 14, 2011

...come meet Kevin & Kary Duffy, Yellville, Arkansas

Mary Mary quite contrary grabbed me in the hallway and told me I needed to meet some folks.  When Mary speaks, if you are smart, you listen.  So I met some folks, and Mary was right...they were just who I needed to talk to.



Tonight I had the pleasure of visiting with Kevin and Kary Duffy.  Kevin did not like getting his picture taken.  Come on Kev!  May I call you Kev? Nothing to be scared of…sometimes I get a good one.



I gave them a quick rundown of who I am, what I am doing, why I am doing it.  They listened patiently, but after hearing them talk, I don’t think they needed any direction on how to interview.



You see, they have been interviewed more times than they can probably remember.  They have been interviewed by newspapers, news stations, ESPN, CBS Sports, etc… And behind it all is a God story, and it is a good story.

Kary started out by asking me if I saw the bus…no, no I haven’t seen “The Bus.” Then she began by telling me that she and Kevin were high school sweet hearts.  They smiled at each other as she told me this and you could see in their eyes that they love each other deeply.  Then she shared with me about her three children.  Kymball, Korbin, and Kyli.  That is when the story took an unexpected turn.  Unexpected because she had joy…she had a smile on her face…she had peace…

A year and a half ago their first born son Kymball Duffy, football #72, 16 years old, full of vibrant life, was taken to be with his LORD and savior after an automobile accident.

This is when Kevin jumped in and they both talked back and forth about all that took place with the media.  He told me how they kept trying to tell about how it was a GOD Story…not a Sport Story that the media was trying to spin it as.

People from all over the country blessed them by sending money.  In comes the bus.  Kymball had always given his dad a hard time that their youth group had to go on such long trips and that they needed a bus.  So they took the money they were blessed with and God provided this beauty!



I am excited and very hopeful that they will type out their story and all the “God parts” as they put it, so that I can share it with you.  They said God was everywhere, in every part of it.  They came, Church on the Rock, Kevin and Kary Duffy, and a portion of their youth group to help Joplin…36 blessings and a bus.

Thank you for coming, thank you for sharing, and thank you for your JOY!  What a wonderful testimony!

Lord God, I praise you and I thank you for letting me see what I saw tonight.  People studying your word together, people helping each other, serving each other, ministering to each other, around every corner, and in every room.  You are doing amazing things.  There is a silver lining in a tornado…you are drawing us near and we are so blessed by this time of fellowship with people that we wouldn’t have met (until Heaven) otherwise.  Thank you sweet Jesus.  Help them as they toil with their hands in the heat tomorrow.  Sustain them.  Thank you Lord!

~Ronda